Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Banjo Lessons

Have you ever noticed what a difference an audience, whether it is one or many, makes? I have been learning to play the banjo, and I am now taking real lessons. In my room sometimes I am not to bad. At times you might even recognize it. I was ready tonight to impress my instructor.

At the lesson I went into the little room, he was not in there yet. I confidently took out my banjo applied the picks to my fingers and began to play. I was doing pretty good, at least it sounded familiar. Then it happened I saw his shadow go across the wall, my fingers got stiff, and began to play something I don't think he had ever heard before, let alone asked someone else to play. It is amazing the difference it makes when someone is watching.

We are being watched, at work, at play, at home, all through day to day life you and I are being watched. We have to learn to get over the nerves and just be who we are in Christ. No pretending, no posing, just ourselves, struggles and all. I think that is what those around us are waiting to see. I am sure there is more I could say about this, but I have to go practice my banjo.

No comments: