Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Spirit of Fear?

In his blog calling Christian Leaders to Stand Up, Buck Jacobs hits on one of the the obstacles facing the church today. It is not from the outside, it is from with in and as Steve Brown would say it spells of smoke. In other words it is from the pit of Hell. That obstacle is fear and it has stopped many of our churches and individual Christians in their tracks. Fear of how making a stand for God will affect me, my job, or family. Fear of losing friends, positions, influence, and the list goes on.

The Bible makes it clear that we have not been given a spirit of fear and we should not fear the things of this world. In Romans Paul tells us that in fact we have been given a Spirit of adoption, and are now co-heirs with Jesus. Jesus did not fear or back down from the things of this world nor should we. In the coming days I will share some of the things I think have become obstacles to the church. In the mean time this is where it starts, fear can paralyze us if we allow it. Overcome fear we can overcome anything. Click on the title above if you want to read more on what Buck Jacobs has to say.

1 comment:

Thankful & blessed said...

Fear does hold us back. Sometimes I remember what it was like to be a child and dream big dreams now that I am an adult I look at all the obstacles. Many times we stay away from topics of "faith" and politics for fear of conflict or offense. More and more I realize my need for a sound mind. I need to be controlled by the Holy Spirit. Good sermon Sunday. I am so so so thankful for GRACE. We are co heirs with Jesus! Unbelievable! So different from other religions where you have to earn it. Thank you Jesus